It corresponds to the district of the same name in the province of Urubamba, 30 km northwest of the city of Qosqo; at a height of 3780 m.a.s.l. and on a high-Andean plain frigid in the morning and at sunset.
Chinchero, the most typical population of the Sacred Valley of the Incas, is a purely Inca city that the conquerors wanted to "civilize" to implant their culture, but they never fully succeeded. Its inhabitants inhabit the almost intact Inca constructions, in the same place where their distant ancestors lived and formed the largest and most prosperous civilization in America.
In the Archaeological Ensemble of Chinchero the attention is initially drawn to its platforms, which allows us to understand that it was a center of agricultural production in the Inca era, a warehouse was also built and the entire complex was provided with a very efficient irrigation system. History tells us that with the arrival of the Spaniards, Chinchero was set on fire in 1536 by Manco Inca, in his flight to Vilcabamba, with the aim of leaving nothing to the Spaniards.
On the Palace of Tupac Yupanqui the Spaniards built the Church of Our Lady of Monserrat in 1607, in order to represent their submission symbolically. Its main altar carved in gold leaf and baroque style is dedicated to the Virgin of the Nativity. Its walls are decorated with works by Diego Quispe Tito, the highest representative of the Cusco school. There are also works by Francisco Chihuantito
In the busy and colorful Sunday Fair of Chinchero you can find objects for domestic use, some truly old such as the famous textile of Chinchero. In this town, with united communities it has been possible to conserve a living heritage, intangible, of extraordinary value, which is expressed both in textile and agricultural practices and in a network of family and community relations. In the workshops of artisan associations, the whole process of weaving is exposed daily, from wool washing, to the final product, you learn from spinning, dyeing and weaving techniques.